How do I become a solicitor within the UK?

I either want to become a Corporate/civil/commercial laywer.
I take History, geography, business studies and french for GCSE
(and english, maths, triple science and p.e)
I in recent times wanted to know what i should take for a-level, whats the best university to step for and just generally how to become a solicitor

Also, what would one of these laywers do on a day-to-day justification?

This website give you the general details.
You should aim to get worthy grades in sound scholarly subjects at "A" level, so as to get into a devout law faculty.

It might be a good notion to ask if you can gain some work experience with the law department of a corporation so that you can capture some feel for the work. The work of a lawyer within the fields you mention is too varied to attempt to describe here.
As you don't know what one of these solicitors does, I suspect you have no real view what type of lawyer you want to be.

1. It does not matter one iota what A level you do, get the best grades you possibly can
2. If you wish to be in motion into IP or Trademarks, you'll need a science degree, so filch A levels accordingly.
3. University - run for the best one you can get into unless they specialise in something you longing to do [Exeter for English & French law, for example]
4. You apply to law college at the terminate of your second year. Or to the inns of court school of law if you want to become a barrister.
5. Get plenty of work experiences and placements after your second year at Uni. Before i.e. a waste of time. then settle on what area of law you'd resembling to practice in Source(s): I'm a lawyer
Your decisions about specialism will come much next, so don't worry too much about that immediately.

Law is a very competitive profession, so results at A-Level as well as your level are very important. You really entail to be getting the best results you possibly can, in order to differentiate yourself from others.

Subjects at A-level are not critical. You might want to choose decree but it is not generally a requirement for a law amount. Having said that, check the specific entry requirements of your chosen universities because they might ask for it.

You then have need of a degree, but it does not necessarily have to be directive. If you do a non-law degree you will need to afterwards do a further one year course - a Graduate Diploma in Law - which is basically a conversion course from a non-law to a a imperative degree. Despite another answer, you certainly do not requirement a science degree to specialise in IP (Intellectual Property). Nor is any mode of degree (law or non-law) a requirement for any particular ruling specialism, although certain degrees may confer you a slight advantage for certain specialist areas.

Your instruction to this point is generic - the route is the same regardless of what kind of legal representative you want to be. But once you have your law point (or GDL) there is a split. If you want to be a barrister you take the Bar Vocational Course (BVC). To be a solicitor you filch the Legal Practice Course (LPC). These are the final stage of academic study before you start the final work base stage of qualification. Both courses are more practically focused than previous studies. The LPC includes some elective modules which is the first time you have to concentrate on your particular areas of interest.

Once you own your LPC you embark on a 2 year training contract, which is a job in a solicitors firm working as a trainee. Once this is over you qualify as a solicitor. Different solicitor's firms own different specialities, so you will be looking for a training contract with a firm that deals next to areas of law that you want to work in.

Many firms conscript 1 or 2 years in advance, so (depending on whether you necessitate to do a GDL) you will be applying for training contracts during the 2nd or 3rd year of your degree. As well as results one item that recruiters look for is that you have researched the profession and that you know what it is like to in actuality work in a solicitor's office. The best opening to do this is via a work placement, and many solicitors offer this sort of entry. Another answer suggested it is a waste of time to look for work experience before your second year. This is discouraging advice - it is never too soon to look for work experience, not too late. In reality, if you have an opportunity to get a summer charge with a solicitor during your A-levels then transport it.

If you are lucky enough to get an proposal of a training contract early enough they may specifiy where on earth they want you to study the LPC and/or which LPC elective modules they want you to choose. Otherwise you can only choose what you are interested in. These choices may affect your training contract applications, but within most cases it will not be fatal to your chance of getting a situation in another area of tenet.

As to what is the "best" university, this is impossible to say for sure. Most employers will importance a degree from Oxford or Cambridge above others, and degrees from the Russell Group of 20 top university above others. But these are subjective judgements, and provided you get good results the university should be produce too much difference.
That's a nice combination of GCSEs - you've get arts and sciences in there and a foreign style. Not much different from what I did - subjects all over the place!

The essential is to have a "qualify law degree". This is regulated by the Law Society which is the professional body for solicitors. Whatever university you apply to for after A levels, check that - almost adjectives LLB degrees are. At Oxford or Cambridge, it would be a BA but that counts too.

Subjects for A level don't really concern... with an arts subject like imperative, universities aren't much bothered especially as so many school and colleges don't offer law as an A stratum subject anyway. But it IS a popular subject and the top universities find that to be able to choose their students, they trade name you sit an extra test as they get applicants who are adjectives predicted to get all As, which is no assist to them at all. I throw this out as a suggestion - if you have the break to do A level philosophy, take it. I hold an MA in political philosophy and so many relatives think it is a woolly subject - it is NOT! It's a good training within rigorous thinking and logic. Where law is concerned, that's how you have to surmise. If ever my tutor could find a loophole in anything I said or I didn't express myself rigorously enough, or made a resolved statement when I couldn't prove it, he told me so in no uncertain expressions. To be a good lawyer you hold to be exactly the same. Imagine being within court trying to defend someone with another advocate against you ready to pick holes in anything you articulate that isn't totally defensible.

Good universities... Oxford and Cambridge of course, any college of London University, ably, any university with a good reputation really. The subsequent thing to do with your LLB or BA within law is to find a job near a firm of solicitors on a training contract so that you can do the Legal Practice Course. When you pass that, you are a solicitor. Having a degree doesn't train you for what it's really approaching representing people in court and the LPC will do that for you.

You could be a solicitor contained by practice in a firm, but a lot of corporate/commercial solicitors work contained by large companies and they provide legal direction on whatever the company is threatened with. It would surface rather like answering the sort of questions you get on canon exams but doing it for a living, and occasionally doing it in court. The chances are if you work for a big company that you'd be doing the situation work as they would need a barrister to speak for them in court. Solicitors properly "can't be heard" in any court above the magistrates. Source(s): I'm a qualified accountant and had to do central law as part of my exams, and work regularly beside the lawyers in the governing body Department I work in.

Related Questions: