GBH, ABH or something else? inevitability some oblige?

Thanks for reading this
Well basically im a 17 year old lad, doin A level living in hertfordshire uk
and whilst walkin home one day a boy i know from academy began verbally abuse me { he had been doing this for a couple months } most of the time i would purely say something back and that would be it, but on this light of day i was very feed up and he was swearing at me so i walked over to him and hit him twice until he fell on the floor consequently gave him a volley of about 10 punches to his stomach and chest, he suffered from severe bruisning and a cut on his facade, the boy is 16 years old. The next year at school i was confronted by a conservatory police officer who said the boy is pressing charges and i can expect to be brought in by police. im angry i got myself into this and hold potentially ruined my life for 5 minutes of anger! Can somone please assist me in advise me on what sentence i may recieve or what i will be charged with, thanks totally much if you read this apreciate all help

ps. no previous criminal account
1 witness who saw the event, a female from her car
GBH requires that you cause wounding. In English law this means that here was a breaking of the skin. He had a cut on his facade so that is a wound and you can expect a charge of GBH. ABH is a little smaller number serious and means bodily harm where on earth there is no break of the skin, though the actual difference between the two is not at all clear.

Definitions: "triable any way" means that the offence can be tried any before magistrates or by a Crown Court with a jury. It depends on the judgement of the authorities as to how serious the alleged sin is. "Triable only on indictment" means it WILL travel to the Crown Court, with a hearing since the magistrates court first to hear the prosecution case and make sure in attendance is enough evidence so as not to waste the Crown Court's time. A magistrates court doesn't enjoy a judge. There is a bench of three magistrates instead, local people who impart up a day every fortnight to "serve on the bench". They are not legally trained as their physical job is to decide on the facts and they hold a legally trained court clerk who sits below them and advises them on points of tenet and how to decide sentence. A Crown Court is the kind near a judge and jury.

ABH is an offence triable any way and the maximum sentence is six months before magistrates (it's the maximum sentence a magistrates court can pass), or five years previously the Crown Court.
GBH is the same except that if the police and the Crown Prosecution Service form the view that you have deliberate and malicious intent to create GBH, it will be a section 18 charge rather than a article 20 charge (these are sections of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861) and the maximum possible sentence is life incarceration. Section 18 is triable on indictment only.

Realistically I would expect a charge of GBH under unit 20.

You NEED a solicitor if you don't already have one. Points that will go contained by your favour are if you can show remorse - that you are truly sorry you did it - and you can show long-term provocation and you just "snapped" surrounded by the heat of the moment. Another one is if you plead guilty. There is absolutely no point surrounded by pleading not guilty and wasting the court's time if it is obvious from the boy's wounds and from what the witness will say that it isn't true. This tend to make courts "take a robust judgment of the case", as they say - which means they will increase the sentence.

The sentences as specified contained by the law are maximum ones and are often reduced by the judgement of the court, and even consequently you can be let out early if you behave yourself surrounded by prison - good behaviour can stifle the real sentence by up to half. Get a solicitor to chat it through with, and as soon as you possibly can so that you can have them next to you when the police take you in for curious (if they haven't already). They will have more experience than me and be able to donate you some idea of what the actual sentence might be. Because the law doesn't specify a fixed sentence, it is impossible to contribute an exact answer. If you don't have a solicitor by the time you are questioned, you other get the opportunity to ask for the duty solicitor - there is other one "on duty" at police stations and magistrates courts to help anyone out who hasn't got their own even so.

When it gets to court, as it undoubtedly will, go within a suit and tie, and if you don't have one, this would be a good time to travel shopping at M&S - always the best value for something that looks justifiably good. I've seen the process working within magistrates courts and done my jury service in the Crown Court. If you look like a scruff within the Crown Court it will look really strange. In magistrates courts you see most defendants in almost anything and it's unusual to see one in a suit but it might, a moment ago might, make the bench think for a moment better of you if you look like a nice polite young man fairly than some sort of scally lad. Either way it can't hurt.

I feel for you. I be bullied a lot at school, mostly vocally, because I was top of the class most of the time and the "dimbos" were resentful, but the law requires that you should do as I did and just whip it.
GBH (Grievous Body Harm) will get ya up to five years imprisonment on conviction by jury trial or six months incarceration and/or fine if dealt with by magistrates.
TBF this is the sort of query you should be asking of a solicitor, not on a forum. From what I remember you could fall under ABH and unlawful wounding. GBH is for hugely serious injuries with intent and it is a bit difficult to tell from this how desperate the situation is.

Related Questions: